Forum

General Chatter

For WOL competitions how are contractions counted? For example I'm, won't etc. Are they counted as one or two words?

Lemond
18 Sep 15 6:17 PM

@Lemond, I suspect their algorithm would be similar to Microsoft Word, in that those individual contractions would count as one word each. I do like those WOL competitions that indicate as you attempt to submit, that your intended response is over their limit. Very handy, indeed.

toxicgherkin
18 Sep 15 8:20 PM

Thanks, @toxicgherkin.

Yes if they are using a MS word algorithm. Usually I've counted them as two after checking out the advice on this and other competition forums/google.
I guess in good faith to avoid confusion they treat them as one. Thou technically it's two words.

So far I didn't want to risk breaking the terms and conditions.

Yes be easier if they showed as you entered. I had a major issue with the TCL competition. The conditions said 25 or less but their custom form wouldn't let me do more then 21 no matter how I hard I tried. That form just stopped allowing you to type your response with no counter. If I pasted my response it would just spit up and error message when I tried to submit. It appear to count them as two. Damn had my response all ready. Hard enough cutting down to 25.

I haven't seen any forms that show a word count as you go. My guess be too much work to develop.

Damn I had words up my sleeve then for a couple WOL comps.

Now for this weeks caption for the pic. Hmmmm

Lemond
18 Sep 15 10:55 PM