Forum

General Chatter

Sigh the winner of the Optus WOL Comp just plagiarised another similar caption. :( All that creativity in my little fingers should of just googled for a caption.

Apologies in advance if my post sounds like sore loser syndrome.

Just comparing the winning caption below with other similar captions on the internet. Would you think that it is creative? Is this plagiarism or does it warrant being creative?

For the competion.com.au caption I know you can do an image search easily and find its' caption. But would never copy it. If anything clouds creativity and originality. Producing same old style captions. Borrowing a bit for inspiration and forming your own creative work I would find acceptable and natural.

Would like compers opinions.

Winning response:

IF OIL IS MADE FROM
DECOMPOSED DINOSAURS, AND
PLASTIC IS MADE FROM OIL..
THEN THESE PHONES MUST BE
MADE FROM...
...MOM?

Similar Captions

So if oil is made from
decomposed dinosaurs, and
Plastic is made from oil... then
Plastic dinosaurs are made from
REAL dinosaurs!

IF OIL IS MADE FROM DECOMPOSED
DINOSAURS, AND PLASTIC IS MADE FROM OIL

ARE PLASTIC DINOSAURS MADE
FROM REAL DINOSAURS?

To finish on a quote:
Without copying first, no creative work would ever see the light of day. That's not a blanket policy to steal though ? Picasso

Lemond
23 Sep 15 5:17 PM

I've noticed an instructor on Udemy, offline of course, who actually promoted plagiarism, by taking other people's content and rewording it into your own words in order to submit it and make money. The example he gave was with recipes, but he said it could be done with anything. I've not been that desperate for content, but I realise how easy it would be to remember something from your past (something that you have no idea where you heard or read it) and resubmit it in your own words, perhaps with your own sense of humour added. Like the old 'Roses are red, Violets are blue, ...' phrases, which run around a lot in my head. The above example about oil might come under that category ???

divergent
25 Sep 15 10:08 AM

Thanks for the response.

So would regard the winning example as plagiarism? In case I'm remotely biased being a entrant. Hmm well thing is what changes were actually made to transform an existing idea. You get parody's etc which twist an existing phrase or idea. Find that's natural and acceptable.

http://speculativeintent.com/2013/11/15/creativity-isnt-about-ideas-its-about-execution/

I found that a great page about creativity and how people can come to the same ideas separately.

Lemond
25 Sep 15 11:43 AM

Loved the video. Thanks Lemond.

Stonesnut
25 Sep 15 7:15 PM

Great video, verrrrry interesting!

JulieD
25 Sep 15 8:09 PM

@divergent You make an interesting point with the old 'Roses are red, Violets are blue, ...' phrases. Like the Knock Knock jokes. I think they help carry the creativity in the middle. Help set the tone etc. I wouldn't think that would dismiss any creativity/originality unless the main content wasn't original.

For the winning example if I substituted 'phones' to say watches, would that now show I've been creative?

Lemond
26 Sep 15 12:48 AM

@JulieD , @Stonesnut Thanks. Guess, the good thing out of all this has got me questioning, what is creativity. Can be a bit blurred at times.

Lemond
26 Sep 15 12:54 AM

Just getting feedback on whether I'm biased before registering a formal complaint with executive managers. If indeed plagiarism and lack of originality/creativity from a PR point of view I wouldn't think they would support it.

Lemond
26 Sep 15 1:15 AM