Forum

General Chatter

There's one 25 WOL question that gets me every time: "Why do you want to win ,,, " It implies that they want the truth of why you want to win the item on offer, but all I can ever think of is that I just want it because I don't have it and it's there to win. Very rarely do I ever find something I truly want. Sure, I want the movie tickets, in order to see the latest movies for free, and I win a few of them, but the rest of the prizes, even the travel prizes, are just opportunities to have something I don't currently have. Perhaps I'm just lacking in dreams, of what it would be like to stay at a beach resort perhaps, basking in the sun, drinking a cocktail from the in-pool bar, or maybe what it would be like using the latest kitchen appliance or reading the new series novel by a bestselling author. What are typical answers that you come up with for the question "Why do you want to win ... "?

divergent
07 Nov 15 11:35 AM

Agree. Best way is work out how to answer is look at similar competitions and winning answers. I hate those WOL type competitions as well. Like "Why do you deserve to win XYZ". Ask @toxicgherkin I think he's got the creative flare. I'm sure he's got a natural talent for those sort of competitions. :)

I feel you got to look out of the box a bit and not get too personal. I'll try find one winning example for a Facebook competition. From memory the winning example wasn't that personal thou clever reference to the competition prize.

Found the winning example for one competition.
It was for some beautiful Royal Doulton plates etc.
Question was "Tell us in 15 words or less why you deserve to win"

Banksy's got nothin' on my kitchen with these inside

Basically comes down to the judges. I think your point is how do you give yourself the best chance to be in the running.

Lemond
07 Nov 15 2:29 PM

It was probably the least personal response. But clever response. I try and get a feel what kind of judges or from promotional material provided by the promoter or prize.

Like from the caption competition after seeing a few over the last month you start to get a feel what sort of caption will win or what won't. I wish you could bounce ideas off the forum or msg in private without the fear of being pinched. lol

Lemond
07 Nov 15 2:57 PM

For finding what you really want. Google your shopping list. Eg "competition to win XYZ". Damn can't find another MS Surface Book competition open to Australia again. Found a nice Rolex watch thou. Not sure if open to Australia and requires pickup at store in UK. Nothing in the T&C's says must be a UK resident. Hopefully can get around it thou organising pickup through friends if I win.

Lemond
07 Nov 15 3:02 PM

The travel competitions I tend to avoid if they don't include some cash to cover travel expenses. Did we have to answer your qu in 25 WOL? lol opps went over the limit

Lemond
07 Nov 15 3:10 PM

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

toxicgherkin
07 Nov 15 7:16 PM

@toxicgherkin. lol. Very good and under 25 WOL. :)

Quick someone feed him a competition. Did you catch Tarocash I posted up?

How did the chicken dinner go?

Lemond
07 Nov 15 7:26 PM
J

I've won a few of these "Why do you want to win" competitions. Sometimes it's been with a serious answer along the lines of - this is my problem and your product will be perfect to fix it. Sometimes it's been with goofy, unique uses for the product. Although they say "this is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winner" but this is obviously not the case because you just don't know what the judges will like.

Jrob71
08 Nov 15 10:17 AM

Chicken dinner was awesome! One hungry horde fed. No leftovers though. Bugger! :(
Tarocash promotion? Thanks for the headsup. Reposted/entered. Done & dusted! Cheers.

toxicgherkin
08 Nov 15 11:47 AM