Forum

General Chatter

This might sound like a silly question, but I'm still relatively new and I was wondering if some competitions aren't safe to enter.

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 12:20 PM

YES ALWAYS READ TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DONT ENTER COMPS THAT SHARE YOU INFO WITH OTHER COMPANIES FROM OTHER COUNTRY'S , HAVE A GOOD ANTIVIRUS WHICH WILL PICK UP COMPANIES THAT ARE UNSAFE OR HAVE VIRSES

Mamma
02 Jan 16 4:38 PM

Be nice to have a short list of competitions/companies that will result in spam. I avoid "competitions" emailed to me unless I've entered them beforehand or subscribed to them. I get plenty of email "Congratulations You're a Potential Winner" type emails.

I suspect the source of those type of emails are from Cohort competitions or similar. Ie asking a a few dozen yes/no questions to receive spam.

Lemond
02 Jan 16 5:39 PM

Thank you!! Think I entered a US based competition here last week ...

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 5:57 PM

Cannot find it on here, strange as I do not recall entering any other comp but the ones I see here, or by liking something or rather on fb.

I've seen a few Cohort competitions. Will take it all on board and will take extra care...

found the comp and misread Austria for Australia. Hopefully it's OK and my entry was just disregarded

Hate being a newbie :-)

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 6:18 PM
J

I've never had any trouble, but I get spammed with emails and a fair amount of unwanted phone calls. The catch is, some wins are notified by phone so you can't ignore calls just because you don't know the caller. You just have to put up with the unwanted callers and block the number so they don't get you again.

Jrob71
02 Jan 16 8:22 PM

Facebook comps tend to be the best to avoid spam emails. The exception maybe if they ask for email details. I'm not saying Cohort competitions are bad or good as I can't directly prove they are the reason behind spam emails for like gambling sites for free spins etc etc. Best advice set up a separate email account for competitions and best not label the email account suggesting it's for competitions. Some promoters may disqualify the entry if they think it's a bogus or competition only email address. Pity didn't do this myself. lol

Read the terms and conditions and privacy policy if concerned, and get a feel from the promoters site.

As most companies keep databases globally even Australian ones, it's almost impossible to avoid having details sent outside of Australia. On competitions.com.au I believe most are fine. If any problems with a competition I'm sure @toxicGherkin would of mentioned it. :)

One thing is guaranteed you're most likely get some spam.

Lemond
02 Jan 16 8:30 PM

Lemond, thank you! bit late now for me to set up a separate email address. I delete a lot of emails if i see that they 're trying to get me to sign up.

Hopefully my misreading Austria for Australia comp is OK....

Most fb comps ask for phone number, and I don't go ahead...since it's same email as I use to log into fb I supply it

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 8:52 PM

jrob, thank you! I'm still fairly selective with the comps. Few things for us, some things for gifts. Don't go after items that I don't need eg electricals, holidays as we cannot afford to travel

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 8:55 PM

@Annaar I don't recall many FB competitions asking for a phone number. Usually they send a private message if you win. The regular ones I do are Straco wednesday's, PC Case Gear, Scorptec, TCL and a few others. Most just require you to like their main page, share and comment in the competition post.

For holiday comps I check the terms and conditions and prize if it includes cash to spend or are transferable and restrictions when can use.

Lemond
02 Jan 16 9:16 PM

Thank you! Most of my fb friends will leave me if I'll keep on sharing com pages. Starting a separate fb page seems like too much trouble. I know some people do...

Anna2077
02 Jan 16 10:16 PM