Forum

General Chatter

Just a heads up for anyone that may be interested. Dolmio are giving away 100 pepper hackers per day. It's a fun device that can switch off wifi at the dinner table with an on and off button and also works as a normal pepper grinder. Competition ends 27/9/16
Could be a fun trick at the dinner table...https://dolmiopepperhacker.com/#
Coles have dolmio at half price but I think this special ends next day or two.

fourleaf
31 Aug 16 4:47 PM

Does it disable mobile phone coverage? I'll be in for that. I.e. Saves having to asks friends to put phones down. lol.

Hmm would effect my neighbouts WIFI? Be nice if can hack into my neighbours WIFI, while I'm wondering when WONDERCOM/TPG will organise for call to arrange for installation at some point in time. The modem supplied is a painful reminder of the delay.

Almost 4 weeks since registering, waiting for the call/sms/carrier pigeon for an installation date sometime in the distant future, is getting a bit thin. Another "friendly" call to get their butts into gear. It's almost the 48 hours time limit they last stated will be contacted by. Time to escalate it to RED alert!

Meanwhile ... On a comping hiatus to save chewing through mobile data. :( Given me plenty of time to a few things at home and do the Leaderboard modelling.

Lemond
01 Sep 16 8:33 AM

Yeh good news. Finally SMS from a contracter for internet installation. X fingers now will get an installation date sometime soon. Comping and email checking hiatus should be over soon. :)

Lemond
01 Sep 16 11:04 AM

@Lemond hope the install goes well :)

fourleaf
02 Sep 16 10:15 AM

@fourleaf Went smooth as. Back in the land of the living and comping and god checking emails. I dare not look. Might just abandon that email account. Thou should be an electricity bill sitting in there. Hopefully it's filed away in a different folder. Could even be missed wins from before mid June.

Last year TPG/Wondercom installed FTB it's not NBN. They have been cherry picking appartments in Melb and other capital cities the last couple of years, before the NBN gets in. Actually get a cheaper and faster product. VDSL 100 Mbps down and 40 Mbs up also phone calls which don't use for $69.99 per month. Not to be confused with ADSL and having flaky copper from my place to the exchange. It's Fibre to the basement and copper in the building.

I was finding, due to comping was was going through my 5GB mobile data too quickly and recharging too often. The daily entry for gleam comps can consume a far bit of data, especially if requirements are viewing videos.

Only issue was a bit worried when they were a bit later then expected. Get a lot of cases of dodgy techs and no shows. I had read up on the whirlpool forum for the TPG threads what to expect. It appeared for 3 weeks had slipped through the system, and was worried it might take at least another 3 weeks, on top of that to book the contracter to turn up. Read some horror stories of continually being pushed to the bottom of the queue for months on end. Mainly NBN installs that happens as shortage of techs, and in the middle of mass rollouts. Impractical to push everyone esle down to queue to make up for a missed appointments or no shows.

They could of stayed for lunch. :) Happy days.

Any good competitions? I haven't looked at them for 2 months. Was self punishment/disciple to motivate to connect the internet and do a spring clean. Gave me time to brush on my spreadsheet skills with the leader board modelling. lol.

The ones that loved the 50 bonus points for the new system can blame you. lol Your comment for looking forward to seeing the probabilities inspired me to update the model etc. hehe. I wasn't expecting to discover the new system had an obvious bias. Seems logical why in hindsight. Probably wouldn't of thought about it. OK also blame admin for changing the points system which exaggerated the bias to extremes. I better duck.

Got the new odds for the changed 25 birthday points. How many birthdays you reckon we will get this month? Helps towards generating the appropriate probabilities. Could use a random one.

Now expanded the modelling to do it monthly probabilities; for the birthday and non birthday groups according to random birthday distributions over a year. When 0 birthdays become apparent midway through last month thought should upgrade the modelling to cater for those kind of scenerios. :)

Lemond
02 Sep 16 4:43 PM

Nothing like an angry fist hitting the dinner table to do the same thing. I won't be entering this comp.

gaseja
04 Sep 16 5:49 PM

Thank you, I won one today :-)

tuppinski
15 Sep 16 11:26 AM

@tuppinski Congratulations, goods odds on this one and well if you don't want to use the wifi bit the pepper grinder works and looks quite nice. Not a bad Xmas idea either :)

fourleaf
15 Sep 16 3:05 PM